Many people do not know the correct way to clean hardwood floors! With proper care and maintenance, hardwood floors can easily last 30 years or more. So, it is essential that hardwood floor owners take the time to learn the correct way to care for their investment.
Hardwood floor cleaning schedule
First of all, it is important to set up a routine when it comes to cleaning hardwood floors. Rather than waiting until the floor is covered with dirt and grime, a quick daily cleaning can save a lot of time and energy in the long run.
Daily Hardwood Floor Cleaning:
Use a broom or soft cloth, for example a microfiber cloth, to gently sweep up dirt at the end of each day. For some households, especially those will small children, a quick sweep may be necessary after every meal. Therefore, it is important to choose a broom that will not scratch the hardwood floors. The brooms below are ideal for hardwood floor cleaning:
• Ideal for hardwood floors
• Affordable Option
• Can be adjusted for perfect fit
• Natural Fibers
• Push broom
• Professional quality
• Includes 2 wet mop pads, 1 dust mop pad
• Adjustable handle
• Dust mop picks up large debris
• Machine washable pads
• Large cleaning path: 24 inches across
• Cleans without need for chemicals
• Adjustable handle
• Attracts dirt and dust
Weekly Hardwood Floor Cleaning
Because hardwood floors tend to show messes quicker than carpeted floors, a deep weekly cleaning will keep them looking shiny and new. Deep cleaning looks different for everyone. For example, some people find that a good vacuuming does the trick. However, many people prefer a wet mopping session to get the hardwood looking sparkly. It is extremely important to remove excess water from a mop or soft cloth before cleaning the hardwood floors. Large amounts of water can damage hardwood!
In short, a quick daily sweep combined with once-weekly wet mopping can keep hardwood floors looking beautiful! In addition, many professionals recommend using a hardwood polish every few months as a preventative measure against scratches or other damage.
Best Hardwood Floor Cleaning Products
In addition to a good broom and consistent cleaning schedule, using a cleaner that is designed for hardwood floors is essential! Rather than using things like vinegar or household soap, which can damage and make the wood look dull due to reside, choose products that are meant for hardwood floors.
Method / Squirt and Mop Hardwood Floor Cleaner
• Plant-based, bio-degradable cleaner
• Use with hardwood floor mop
Bona/Hardwood Floor Cleaner Spray
• Water-based formula
• Safe for all unwaxed, unoiled, polyurethane finished wood floors
• Fast drying
• Easy to use
• Use On – Any finished hardwood floor, engineered hardwood vinyl laminate and stone tile
• Won’t dull hardwood
Step by step process to deep clean hardwood floors
Once all the materials are gathered it is time to clean the hardwood floors!
- Clear off any items on the hardwood
- This includes shoes, furniture (if possible), toys, etc.
- With a dry broom, sweep up any large debris from the hardwood
- Start in a corner furthest away from where the floor starts
- Doing this rather than starting in the middle of the floor will make it easier to prevent unsightly footprints because you are moving backwards.
- Apply a small amount of hardwood floor cleaner to the corner. Typically, a very small amounts goes a long way
- Use a hardwood mop to start mopping the floors. A good amount of pressure on the mop will help get the grime off of the floors.
- Moving backyards from the corner, mop until it is hard to glide the mop along the hardwood floor. This means it is time for more cleaning product.
- Continue this process until you reach the start of the hardwood flooring.
- Allow the floor to dry completely before stepping on it
- Once dry, look for spots that have remaining grime. Using the “Cinderella Method”, get on all fours with a micro-fiber cloth and hardwood cleaner. Use your hands to scrub the floor until the grime is gone.
In conclusion, taking care of hardwood flooring is not difficult to do and will help keep it beautiful for many years to come!